Monday, December 26, 2011

happy hippos

ok nice analysis g even tho i disagree about a lot of those things but i'll get to that later

first i'm going to analyze the song Happier by A Fine Frenzy in relation to Sam/Dean pre-series!!!!!!!!

okay this song is obviously from Dean's pov and its most about Sam leaving for stanford

Quick kid quip so harsh and cynical (A pretty good description of teenage Sam, I think)

Touches stricken cold and clinical (No more "thanks Dean, this is great" hugs)

What a transformation to behold (Sammy's all grown up)

But I don't like this new, I want the old (self-explanatory, Dean misses kid!Sam and being a kid with him)

this whole part basically about Dean just noticing changes and wanting them to stop. then, we get into Sam actually telling them that he's leaving.

It's not the words that make it final

You've said just things to before to rival them (Sam has threatened to leave, and has even run away before)

But's its how you say them now that's changed (I imagine Sam has definitely made up his mind about this. nothing can get him to stay, whereas before there were always things that they could do, things Dean could say to him that would get him to stay)

Cold and sympathetic all the same (Again, Sam has made up his mind-- he's leaving. but being Sam, he's empathetic.)

Like to convince me that I'll be better off

So you go on and I'll be happier, I'll be happier (Dean's bitter thoughts, he won't admit he needs Sam to stay)

a lot of repetition in this song, so I'll skip to the next part.

for this part I see a beautiful meaning that probably wasn't intended in the lyrics, but...

Shoot me with your rubber bullets (training...)

Your finger on the trigger, pull it

I know you want this suffering to end (Sam hates hunting, hates training, hates this life, and Dean knows it)

So it is forgivable, my friend (Now, because Dean knows this, he's honestly being a bit selfish about wanting Sam to stay with him and Dad where he's miserable, because most people go to college, they move out at 18, they live their own lives and follow they're dreams. Sam, who's unhappy, has all the reason in the world to go out looking for something more. Dean's selfish, he knows he's being selfish, so Sam leaving is somewhat forgivable.)

now, if you don't want to take it quite so literally...

Shoot me with your rubber bullets (Sam's trying not to hurt Dean by leaving, he's still leaving bruises)

Your finger on the trigger, pull it (Go ahead, Sammy. Tell me how you really feel.)

And then this part:

Say what you mean, what you mean, cause you'll be happier without me, without me, without me (Although Sam was just going to college and trying to get away from Dad, Dean sees it as Sam leaving Dean and thinks that what he wants)

okay, so there. that is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment