Saturday, February 4, 2012

the cats are alright

Hey gs!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had started this post earlier bleh.

Here is a picspam called "While I was watching last night's ep I remembered how much I love Sam and Dean's red and blue ties."

It's extra special because most of my picspams take you forward through time and now we're going to go backward.




Psychologically, red and blue are said to balance each other out, (blue calms and red stimulates) which is one reason why I think Sam and Dean usually wear red and blue ties, because they balance each other out and complete each other. They are better as a team.







Interestingly enough, the cap below is from Mannequin 3: The Reckoning and the above cap is from Defending Your Life (remember we're going back in time.) And they appear to be wearing the same ties. I tried to collect a cap from every time they used the red-blue tie combo, so possibly they used the same red and blue ties in a row.

This could have significance. Mannequin 3 is pretty much their last case before the civil war in Heaven starts really affecting them, and Defending Your Life is their first case after the civil war in Heaven stuff is over. It's like them picking up where they left off, getting back to what they do. I like it.







In season 5 the colors red and blue and extremely significant. I could give you a million example but their ties are just one.










It's kind of interesting that the red and blue ties started in season 4 seeing as that is the season that a rift began to form between the brothers.







You see, this is the only occurrence in seasons 1-3.


I actually think the fact they didn't do this is earlier seasons makes it even more likely that these red and blue ties are important. In fact, in season 1-3 they wore black ties, gold ties, gray ties, brown ties, etc. but they RARELY wear anything of the sort in 4-7. Nope, it's usually red and blue. One red brother and one blue brother.

So it has to mean SOMETHING... I mean this is not "well, red and blue ties are the kind of ties that Sam and Dean know how to wear" because they wore other kind of ties in the past.

But I don't think its that they didn't balance each other out in 1-3, I think its just that they weren't using that technique yet.

And actually I think Sam's yellow ties are important in season 2 but that's not the point of this.

One question though: is it important who is red and who is blue.

In an attempt to answer this question I compiled some data.

Season 4:
Sam-3 blue, 4 red
Dean-4 blue, 3 red

Season 5:
Sam-3 blue, 6 red
Dean-6 blue, 3 red

Season 6:
Sam-4 blue, 2 red
Dean-2 blue, 4 red

Season 7:
Sam-7 blue, 2 red
Dean-2 blue, 7 red

Based on this I would say YES it is significant.

I mean, just look:







Either Dean's preference for red ties over blue increased impressively after season 5 along with Sam's preference for blue over red or this has got to be important.

Possibly the color of the tie can be used to describe the emotions of the brother wearing it, but I don't think this is always the case.

However here is some of the symbolism generally used for red and blue:

Red-power, will, and anger.
Blue-calm, passivity, and depression.

The seasons with the biggest difference in colors are seasons 5 and 7, so I'm mostly going to talk about those. Season 5 is obvious. Sam actively shows his anger, will, his desire for power. Dean remains passive while falling deeper into depression. Season 5 has SO much red and blue symbolism that I think this is very intentional.

Season 7 is now the opposite. Dean is angry, Sam is calm.

I'm running out of time, but so I don't leave anything out I still want to talk about the cases in which Sam and Dean DON'T wear red and blue ties.

I'm not going to do all of them, just a few select examples (in 4-7) so that you get the idea.

The Mentalist. Sam and Dean have been apart and are angry with each other.


Season 7, Time for a Wedding. Sam and Dean are working separately. They're not angry with each other, but they can't be a team.

And, All Dogs Go To Heaven. This is NOT Sam, this is soulless Sam. The balance is off. Dean can't harmonize soulless Sam's power and will.


Can I point out there are NO cases of red and blue ties at a time where Sam is soulless and Dean knows it?

So yes, I just wanted to show that I think the use of not red and blue ties is also deliberate.

This turned into sort of a meta... I mentioned I was obsessed, didn't I?

Well anyway this isn't a very good meta probably. Just pay attention to the pretty pictures.

Omg I have so much homework to do this weekend and I was like okay I'm going to do a ton of it today so that I don't have to do it all on Sunday but I did NONE OF IT!!!!!!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!

Just pretend the game was in this post and I'll do another post after midnight for it because I just don't have time.

Haha what if I measured this post and found out it wasn't as long as my foot?

No comments:

Post a Comment